Before you submit
- Mandatory consultation of the detailed manuscript requirements document
- Check and state in the cover letter why the manuscript:
- Is of relevant interest to the medical community.
- Is innovative and has or will have application in daily practice.
- Will improve the way we perform radiology.
- Throughout the manuscript, authors are encouraged to evaluate the statements flowing levels of evidence (Martí-Bonmatí L (2021) Evidence levels in radiology: the insights into imaging approach)
- To enhance transparent and trustworthy connections between researchers, it is now required for corresponding authors of every submission to provide an ORCID iD. In case of not having an account, registration is free of charge and can be done at orcid.org/register.
- Consult the journal’s guidelines for the use of large language models.
Peer Review Process
As of January 9, 2023, Insights into Imaging operates a single-blinded peer review process, where manuscripts sent to reviewers will no longer be anonymized or blinded, but reviewers’ names will continue to be unknown to authors.
All submissions must contain the following documents:
- Cover letter file, answering the following questions:
- The importance of the manuscript (see above).
- Your experience on the topic (including previous publications).
- The expected clinical impact of the manuscript.
- Title page file
- Article title, full author names, and affiliations
- Main text file (after consultation of the manuscript requirements):
- Abstract, key points, keywords, abbreviations.
- Main text, references, figure/table legends, if any.
- Declarations file (following this template).
- Graphical abstract (following this template).
- Figures (provided as separate EPS, JPG, TIFF, or MPEG4 files)
- Tables (provided in editable format, such as Word, Excel)
- Electronic Supplementary Material (provided in editable format)
Article Processing Charge
Do I have to pay the article processing charges?
All articles published in Insights into Imaging are open access and freely available online, immediately upon publication. This is made possible by an article-processing charge (APC) that covers the range of publishing services we provide. This includes provision of online tools for editors and authors, article production and hosting, liaison with abstracting and indexing services, and customer services.
The APC, payable when your manuscript is editorially accepted and before publication, is charged to either you, or your funder, institution or employer.
Who - when - how?
Upon editorial acceptance of an article, the corresponding author will be notified that payment is due. You need to arrange payment unless a waiver has been granted, or your institution or employer is covering the cost through the Springer Open Membership Programme.
The APC for publication in Insights into Imaging is £2,190 / US$ 3,090 / €2,590 (for 2024) excl. VAT or local taxes.
If the corresponding author’s institution participates in our open access membership program, some or all of the publication cost may be covered (more details available on the membership page). The publisher routinely waive charges for authors from low-income countries. For other countries, article-processing charge waivers or discounts are granted on a case-by-case basis to authors with insufficient funds. Authors can request a waiver or discount during the submission process. For further details, see the article processing charge page.
SpringerOpen provides a free open access funding support service to help authors discover and apply for article processing charge funding. Visit the OA funding and policy support page to view a list of research funders and institutions that provide funding for APCs, and to learn more about the email support service.
Are there any funding options?
If you come from a low-income country, charges are routinely waived. For other countries, APC waivers or discounts are granted on a case-by-case basis to authors with insufficient funds. If you wish to request a waiver, please select in the submission process the option “I would like to request a waiver…” and enter your reason in the provided field.
Over 500 institutions worldwide have joined the SpringerOpen Membership Program and financially support open access by paying some or all of the APCs on behalf of their researchers. Check if your institution is a member here. In the submission process, please select “I believe that I am covered by an institutional membership arrangement…” followed by the option ‘Select institution from a list’ and choose your respective institution.
Insights into Imaging received an Impact Factor 2022 of 4.7, strengthening its position within quartile 1 in the Impact Factor ranking.
Together with substantially increasing downloads and social media interactions, these parameters underline that the journal is continuing to be an important and integral part of the radiologic community.