The Ultrasound Working Group of the European Society of Radiology aims to highlight with these recommendations the importance of infection prevention and control in ultrasound.
- Transducers must be cleaned/disinfected before first use and after every examination.
- Low level disinfection is sufficient for standard US on intact skin.
- High level disinfection is mandatory for endo-cavity US and all interventions.
- Dedicated transducer covers must be used for endo-cavity US and all interventions.
- Sterile gel should be used for all endo-cavity US and all interventions.
Article: Infection prevention and control in ultrasound – best practice recommendations from the European Society of Radiology Ultrasound Working Group
Authors: Christiane M. Nhysen, Hilary Humphreys, Roland J. Koerner et al