MRI for the evaluation of adenomyosis
This pictorial review illustrates the MRI findings of adenomyosis, a disease of the inner myometrium, and its associated conditions whilst focusing on their imaging pitfalls.
- Adenomyosis is defined as the presence of ectopic endometrium within the myometrium.
- MRI is an accurate tool for the diagnosis of adenomyosis and associated conditions.
- Adenomyosis can be diffuse or focal.
- The most established MRI finding is thickening of junctional zone exceeding 12 mm.
- High-signal intensity myometrial foci on T2- or T1-weighted images are also characteristic.
Authors: Lisa Agostinho, Rita Cruz, Filipa Osório, João Alves, António Setúbal and Adalgisa Guerra